Thursday 27 November 2008

A Cardiff woman tells her story

I’m 24 years of age and I’m starting to get my life back on track. It all started a few years ago when I started dating this guy. You'd never think that he would be capable of abuse. Everybody who met him thought he was a nice guy and he was also very short. We soon moved in together and slowly things started to change. At first it was small things like pushing me and getting annoyed about the smallest thing. When I got my first job at the local shop he suddenly became very violent: he started pulling my hair and punching me. The violence came out of nowhere sometines and I was instantly shattered by the horrific abuse.
After a few months I was a wreck and drinking heavily which meant I soon lost my job. It seemed that the beatings would go on for hours but this was my life. I’d accept everything he’d say. If something went wrong it was my fault. One day he was late for work and was given a row by his boss. When he came home he beat me up saying that I was to blame for him being late that morning. I soon made friends with a woman who moved in to the house next door and who could hear everything that was going on in our house. She soon made me realise that I was a victim of domestic abuse which was something that hadn’t entered my head before that. I suppose I thought that this was normal.
If it wasn’t for her I’d probably still be living with him. Although I’ve now left him and the support I’ve received has been fantastic I still have permanent problems with nightmares, intimacy and of course the physical scars. It’s not easy getting away but there is help out there.

No comments: